Museums ir monuments
Book smugglers, warriors-volunteers, partisans. In the hardest moments faced by Lithuania people of Kaunas region managed to remain true patriots. They were brave and dedicated to their country.
Approximately 700 people of Kaunas region have chosen to be volunteers in fights for freedom of the country during the period from 1919 to 1920. Almost 100 volunteers buried in graveyards of Kaunas district were cavalrymen of the Cross of Vytis. 11 book-shaped benches were introduced in all Kaunas district in memory of these men. First and last names of warriors of specific region appeared on the benches.
A cross and a monument were built in Pabartupis forest outskirts (Alsenai eldership), the place of death of J. Luksa-Daumantas, a leader of Birute militry unit of “Tauras” parish, in memory of the post-war battles of partisans. Monuments in memory of partisans were built in Jonuciai village (Garliava county eldership), Braziukai village (Zapyskis eldership), Kacergine.
Kaunas district is a region of book smugglers. Monuments in memory of book smugglers were built in Zapyskis, Babtai, Garliava, Karmelava, Rokai elderships. K. Aglinskas, pharmacist and cultural activist from Garliava, teachers J. Andziulaitis, K. Sakalauskas-Vanagėlis, J. Mačys-Kėkštas and book smugglers have formed a society of lovers and distributors of Lithuanian press and were spreading Lithuanian language and ideas. Jonas Basanavicius, one of the founders of the state of Lithuania, used to visit K. Aglinskas at frequent intervals.
A stone chapel stands on Stabaunycia hill, Babtai eldership, and a monument stands in Padainupys village, Alsenai eldership, in memory of the most prominent Lithuanian pilots S. Darius and S. Girenas. These Lithuanian pilots were the only ones who have crossed the Atlantic Ocean at the beginning of the 20th century (in 1933) and managed to reach the second best result in the world in terms of the longest distance of flight without landing in transatlantic route and were the fourth best in terms of the time spent in the air.
Sitkunai and Juragiai are important locations in terms of the modern history. Monuments in memory of the events of the 13th of January 1991 were built in these two settlements.
Kaunas district museum is established in Raudondvaris manor castle. Close relations between the past and the present days are created, the sets of museum values in memory of history of culture of Kaunas region are accumulated, analysed and demonstrated in the museum.
Interesting museum values are accumulated in the branches of Kaunas district museum, namely in Antanas and Jonas Juska Museum of Ethnic Culture and Babtai Museum of Regional Studies, the Centre of traditional crafts located in the beautiful place, in Juozapas Liekis homestead, in Biliunai village, on the bank of Nevezis river.
2 buildings are built in the Centre of traditional crafts in Biliunai village. One building is a log house and another one is a partially covered carcass building with the second floor for a small exposition. A smithery with a forge, bellows and a drilling device is equipped in the area of 10 m2 of the log house. The exposition of the branch includes agricultural and other machinery, household appliances and work tools of the 19th century and the first half of the 20th century used in the rural areas of Lithuania. Various educational programs are organised in the branch. The exposition equipped in the open space and the homestead are popular both among the locals and the guests from abroad.
Unique underground printing house-museum “ab” has survived to these days in the house of Andziuliai family located in Saliai village (Domeikava eldership). Today it is the branch of Vytautas Magnus War Museum. National, catholic and political literature was printed in the print house during a period from 1981 to 1991. It is the only underground print house in Lithuania that was no detected by the KGB during the Soviet period.